Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What it means for me to be an author...

What does it mean for me to be an author? That's a good question to start out with, I believe. For me, being an author is all about writing down a good story. Does it have to be grammatically correct and all that jazz? Yes, it does. That's part of being an author, but that is only part of being an author. I do enjoy writing, and I am told that I can write very well. That isn't why I do it though.

I do it for the story. That's the biggest part of being an author in my mind. I want to tell stories that light up a person's imagination and make them go "wow, that was cool." I want to put them in the action and have them feel for the characters.

Do I have a long way to go? You betcha. Am I going to do my best to get there? That's the plan. How long will it take? 

Well, that's another great question right there. It's going to take as long as it's going to take. I can't say anymore than that, but what I can tell you is that I will always find a way to improve myself. If I stop finding ways to improve myself, y'all can flog me. I mean it. Though, some of y'all would really love that. Hmm. Scary.

Anyways, enough of that tangent. Being an author is my dream. I guess it always has been, but I just didn't know it. I have always loved telling stories, but I never thought that I could actually get them out there to people to read. I see that I now have the opportunity to do that thanks to Amazon. Really, thank you Amazon. If anything, my stories get out there. Ideally, they make me a living - we've all got to pay our bills - but I'm happy just knowing that someone somewhere is going to enjoy them.

That's what it is all about isn't it. Being happy doing what you do. Through all of my searching and waffling over what to do, I have finally found what some would call my calling. That's being an author.

What does it mean for me to be an author? It means that I can bring a smile, or a tear, or a laugh to a person that might not have at that time. I can share my dreams and maybe even spark new dreams in someone else better able to complete them than me. If I can do just one of those things, I've honestly done a great thing in my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment