Friday, March 28, 2014

So there I was

Getting everything ready for Lindsey's smoothie. Pull out the bag of frozen mixed fruit. Add in some frozen baby spinach. Put in the teaspoon of flax seed and like a tablespoon or whatever of whey protein (I forgot the exact amount). That's when it hit me.

How do you open your banana?

Such a simple process that we go through weekly or monthly if not daily - as doctors would like us to. I always peeled my banana  by grabbing it at the stem and breaking it open. That of course did result a lot of times in just ripping that part off and having nothing to show for it except a slightly smushed banana when there had been a nice ripe one waiting to be eaten. I almost did that Sunday night when I made her first smoothie with banana in it, but I stopped myself.

What if I peeled it the other way; oh, that other dreadful way that people look at you oddly for. "Why on Earth would you do that? That's not how you do it!" I could hear them shout. I simply shrugged to myself and said, "F*** it." I grabbed the tip of the banana betwixt my forefinger and thumb, and I squeezed it until it gave up its succulent quarry.

Okay, maybe that's a bit melodramatic.Only just a bit.

Really though, how do you peel open your banana? Do you do the "standard" way of grabbing it and ripping from the stem, or do you pinch it at the tip until it splits open?

I have noticed that doing it the "pinching way" (it's totally a thing now), I get a near perfect looking banana every time....Then I tear it up with my hands and toss it into the smoothie where its torment is ended by a high-speed metal blade.

No comments:

Post a Comment